Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Forever Mom

When I started this blog, I was convinced my children were determined to live out the rest of their lives in the comfort and security of their childhood home. I was concerned that the lifestyle we had provided them had inhibited their desire to ever forge a life out on their own. The guilt and frustration that propelled me to write this, had led to a good case of feeling sorry for myself. And then I attended our family reunion. This bi-annual event, that attempts to gather as many bodies of our large, regionally spread-out family as possible, took place last week as part of a wedding celebration for my cousin's son. While I was there, I was reminded of a hard truth. There are some moms who will never have the opportunity to send their child off to college, sit in the church as they are married or babysit for their grandchild. My aunt is one of those moms. She is the youngest girl of a family of nine children. She is my father's sister. She is also the mother of a thirty-seven year old child with Down's Syndrome.

This woman, at eighty-two, could teach anyone what it is to be a mother. She continues to take care of her child (who is the last of five) with unfailing faith and generosity of spirit. If she has ever been overwhelmed by the task, I have never seen it. What I have seen is her unrelenting sense of humor, which has become legendary in our family. If she ever has the chance to write a silly poem or wear an outrageous outfit, she grabs the opportunity with contagious enthusiasm. But what really struck me this past week, is how her legacy of selflessness has been passed down to her children. The way they support her and their sister is inspiring. While they have their arguments, as any family does, they never cease to rally around each other when needed. So the next time I'm feeling unappreciated or taken for granted, I'm determined instead to feel grateful. For my own two healthy children and my wonderful extended family whose devotion and grace I can only hope to aspire to.

1 comment: