Sunday, April 10, 2011

Is This Really the End?

Today, I put on a pair of shorts for the first time in seven months. That they still fit was the first cause for celebration. The second, was enjoying an April day that topped eighty degrees. Just a few days ago I wrote about the vice-like grip of winter and the feeling that spring would never actually arrive. But that's Chicago for you. One day you're grabbing your down coat to fetch the newspaper off the driveway and the next you're sitting on your deck in a tank top. (Okay, I don't actually own a tank top anymore. No need to expose those flappy, Grandma waving arms; we have new neighbors).

So, what did we do with this lovely day? I can't believe I'm going to say this but we went to the garden store. Along with fifty-thousand of our closest friends. No, we weren't there to buy plants. I'm not that crazy. I know I can't plant anything around here until Memorial Day. But we did need new patio chair cushions. Seems as if some resourceful squirrel family in the area is now enjoying a very plush den (?) with what used to be the stuffing of our former outdoor seating. If we were going to enjoy this day sitting down, we were going to have to brave the crowds in search of replacements. After roaming the three aisles housing our choices, we quickly (as quickly as I can choose anything) settled on a red and gold striped pattern that looked like something we could live with for the next eight to ten years and headed home to throw a couple of gorgeous NY Strip steaks on the grill.

Life doesn't get much better. But if I ever get my hands on those high-living squirrels, they better be ready for a fight. They owe us $120.

No comments:

Post a Comment