Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Treasures

When my kids were little, I knew I would get thoughtful gifts for Mother's Day I'd like to say that my husband took them by their little hands every year and lovingly helped them craft keepsakes for me but more often than not, it was their teachers. Many of my most cherished gifts were created in the classroom. Aprons with tiny hand prints, books with charmingly misspelled words, necklaces made out of various pasta shapes; I have my children's elementary teachers to thank for all of them.

As they got older, their dad's reminders (and, I suspect, his financial subsidies) assured me of a steady stream of flowers and trinkets bought and wrapped at the last minute. They were appreciated but I missed the thought and effort that had gone into their art projects. But I held out hope that some day, without a teacher or father to pressure them, they would again put a little time and energy into Mother's Day.

Today, I got my wish.

It didn't start well. When I woke up, I was alone. Not that I minded. I settled in with the paper and a freshly baked croissant (thank you, Trader Joes). So much for breakfast in bed. Before long, my daughter arrived with a beautiful card and an even more beautiful hand-written note. That wasn't such a surprise. For some time, she's been a thoughtful, creative gift-giver. She's also made it clear that her intention is to make me cry with each card she presents me.

The real shocker was my son. I knew he had been making progress when it came to holidays; i.e. actually being aware of them. Last Christmas he did a great job, choosing thoughtful, useful gifts for the entire family. But, today, he outdid himself by picking up a book called "What I Love About You" and filling in every page with loving, as well as, hilarious commentary. I loved it more than I've loved any gift since that macaroni necklace.

So, here's to the moms who are still waiting for their kids to appreciate them. I'm here to tell you to hang in there. It's gonna happen. It may take awhile but when it does, I promise you it's gonna feel really good.

1 comment: