Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Sure Thing

The last page of O magazine, that paragon of journalistic virtue, is entitled 'What I Know For Sure'. There's usually a candid photo of Oprah looking all wise and relaxed as she hits us with some more of her hard-earned life lessons. The fact that she also sneaks in a plug or two for one of her shows on her failing OWN network is beside the point. The woman still has things to teach us, damn it, and she's going to use whatever outlets (bearing her name and/or logo) available to her to ensure that we all start living that better life that she wants for each and every one of us. I've read a few of these two-minute therapy sessions (in the check-out line or doctor's office, of course) and it got me thinking. What do I know for sure?

Well, I know that I will never, ever get another perm, even when all the other gray-haired ladies in the nursing home are wrapping their wiry locks around those plastic rods. I also know that I would rather visit my gynecologist than get stuck in an elevator with any of the Kardashians. And I know, without a shadow of any doubt, that the two people whose wedding I witnessed over the weekend are going to be spending the rest of their earthly lives (and probably their eternal lives as well, even though some people don't believe in that kind of thing) enjoying each others' company.

It strikes me as somewhat ironic that the same week People magazine blasted the news that Brad and Angie were finally getting hitched, I had the privilege of being a part of a real union; a wedding of two, honest-to-goodness soul-mates. They met on Match.com and, if this company had any sense, they would snap these two up for every commercial in their foreseeable future. Just watching them interact with one another for thirty seconds would send singles all over America rushing to their computers to sign up.

From the minute they announced their engagement, everyone who knew them well knew this would be no ordinary wedding. And they did not disappoint. From beginning to end (five days of partying, cooking, talking, and laughing) the event was filled with personal touches reflecting the bride and groom's love and respect for one another. Humor was everywhere from the vows to the toasts to the re-enactment of Beyonce's Put a Ring on It. Since the couple and most of their friends are struggling actors, writers, and musicians trying to make it in L.A., guests were treated to the most entertaining wedding of their lives but never did it feel staged or theatrical. It was truly a serious commitment surrounded by joyous, heartfelt creative expression. And it was a blast.

But this isn't really about loving each other on one perfect day. It's about finding someone you can stand to be with for the next 18,250 of them. I won't be around to collect, but I'd be willing to set down a sizable bet that that's what I just witnessed.

Todd and Erin, you did it. Now sit back and enjoy the next fifty years. It’s going to be one hell of a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment