Monday, September 9, 2013

Just Another Manic Wednesday

Last week, I was minding my own business, trying to get a little work done, when all hell broke loose. I got one of those phone calls that everyone dreads - the one where someone you love is ill and/or hurt and needs transport to the emergency room. This time it came from my husband, complaining that he felt as if he was about to pass out. His call for help, a most unusual occurrence, was intercepted by our son, who rushed from our mutual place of employment to see what he could do. By the time I was pulled from my meeting, they were already on their way to the hospital, ten minutes from my current location.

When I got there, my son was valiantly trying to provide personal information to the registration personnel. After I filled in the blanks, I looked into the bay where they were treating my husband. He was hyperventilating from the intense pain he was experiencing and I was enlisted to help get his breathing under control. This was not an easy task. I pulled out all my pain management tricks - in through the nose, out through the mouth; visualizing that balcony in Italy drinking Proseco; even that hee-hee-hoo breathing that he tried to get me to do when I was busy trying to get a ten pound child out of my body.

Nothing worked. Nothing except those two little syringes of miracle juice that lovely nurse stuck into his IV.

Once everything calmed down, we were able to rule out all the really bad stuff like a heart attack, stroke, etc. and tried to figure out what exactly had led this very capable, in-control person to pick up the phone and ask for help. After a little discussion, we came to the conclusion that twelve hours at the computer followed by mowing an over-sized lawn with a decrepit lawn mower was not a good combination. Convinced he had been attacked by either back spasms or a pinched nerve, we declined the recommended CAT scan (who needs the expense when no amount of pain killer will make you forget you have a kidney stone), accepted a prescription for muscle relaxants, and headed for the exit.

He's trying hard to avoid a repeat performance. He's alternating sitting and standing while he works. He's taking more frequent breaks from his computer projects and he's careful about any other stress he puts on his back. I think he's going to be fine.

Until he gets that bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment