Monday, December 16, 2013

Merry Wedding, Happy Vacation

I would like to tell you that I'm one of those people who has their Christmas shopping done by October 1st. On second thought, maybe I wouldn't want to tell you that as those kind of people aren't usually looked on with a whole lot of fondness. But you get my drift. It must be nice to have all that craziness out of the way before the snow starts falling and be able to sit around and watch the rest of us lose our minds trying to find something to throw in a box for Aunt Minnie.

This year has been a whole new kind of crazy. After hosting my niece's baby shower in late November, our daughter's DIY wedding in early December and planning for our first cold weather vacation in ten years, I have to admit that Christmas has only recently shown up on my radar screen. Not one present was purchased before last Friday. I'll bet you all feel a lot better now, huh? But, you know what, it's all going to be okay. Much to my surprise, one very productive shopping day at local retailers and a couple of visits to a few favorite online sites have brought me to the happy conclusion that I'm going to make it. Everyone is going to have something under the tree. It may not be fancily wrapped, it may not be exactly what they wanted but there will be something there.

The Christmas cards may have to wait until next year. (Does anyone mind getting my long-winded update letter late anyway?) The Christmas cookies may not get made (unless my extra sessions on the treadmill actually help me get that bathing suit on and I have something to celebrate). And we might have to settle for that sad Charlie Brown tabletop tree that might manage to hold five or six of our most treasured ornaments. But there will be a Christmas.

For a horse that left the gate as late as I did, that feels like a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment