Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Not Fearing the Worst

I've never been what you might call a brave person. I watch in awe as people schuss down mountains at warp speed, jump off bridges with nothing separating them from certain death but a giant rubber band, and get behind the wheel of a vehicle going three times the legal speed limit. After a lifetime of walking on the safe side of the street, it's a pretty safe bet that I'm not going to morph into some kind of risk-taking daredevil just because I have fewer years ahead of me than behind me. That would be too much to ask. No, all I can reasonably hope for is that I will stop giving fear the power to keep me from doing something I really want to do.

It's funny how many of those "getting out of your comfort zone" moments come while you're on vacation. Stepping away from your daily routine presents you with a boatload of opportunities to push yourself into uncomfortable territory. All of a sudden para-sailing sounds like a great idea and dining on grilled octopus sounds preferable to a perfectly seared New York Strip.  Oh, sure, you can grab a Big Mac while walking down the Champs E'lysee or hire a driver with an air-conditioned car to show you the sights you could explore on your own but chances are you'll regret it if you do.

On the fabulous winter getaway I wrote about last week, I went snorkeling. A non-swimmer and fearful of deep water, I was determined not to let that stop me from joining my friends on their afternoon excursion. Seeing the tiny boat that was going to transport us out to the reef, I almost bailed. Learning that I would have to jump off the side of said boat into the open sea was almost a deal breaker (I don't know how else I thought I was going to get in with those damn fins on my feet) but, with the help of my very supportive friends and an amazingly patient guide, I did it.  I freaked out a few times and swallowed enough sea water to earn a set of gills but when it was all over, the rush of having conquered one of my most deep-seeded fears stayed with me for the rest of the day and even now is helping to convince me I'm not quite the wuss I thought I was.

So, what now? What scary activity will my new-found maturity and wisdom enable me to cross off my "To Don't" list next? Sky-diving? White-water rafting? Bungee jumping?

If I were you, I wouldn't bet on any of the above. I may be trying to conquer a few fears but I'm not crazy.








No comments:

Post a Comment