Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Sunday

Well, the NFL season is over for another year. The playoffs have played out (without my favorite team anywhere in the vicinity) and the last two teams standing, Denver and Seattle, finished off the season in a less-than-epic battle yesterday. Despite the lopsided score, it was a great day. Not for Peyton Manning, I'll grant you. But for me, definitely.

Never a huge fan of the Super Bowl when I don't have a rooting interest, I still attempted to host a little get together. My parents were the first to bow out. With the Arctic cold and mountains of snow we've had to deal with, I can't say that I blame them. I'm twenty-three years younger than they are and I don't want to go out in it. Other friends we invited were heading to other parties (bet they didn't have the variety of Trader Joe's appetizers that I assembled) or otherwise engaged (working on a Sunday? Nice try.). In the end, it was just the six of us - my hubby, our kids and their significant others. I couldn't have planned it any better.

To have all of us in the same place for more than a couple of minutes is as rare as Justin Bieber having a quiet night at home. Despite the fact our son has temporarily moved back in, New Year's Eve was the last time we all managed to coordinate our schedules to be together. We talked, laughed, ate, ate some more and, oh, yeah, watched the game. Between critiques of the commercials (the Dorito spot was our fave; the 24 teasers were greeted with anxious anticipation) and critiques of the food (coconut shrimp, yes; chicken Parmesan lollipops, no), I reminded myself to savor every moment of all of us being under one roof - even if it was under the pretense of watching a pretty lousy football game.

It may not have been much fun in the Manning household but in ours, it really was a Super Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment