Friday, July 1, 2016

The First Time Again

Today was my grandson's first visit to a zoo. And while this little park district animal habitat wannabe was hardly a worthy introduction to the world of incarcerated wildlife compared to places like Brookfield and Lincoln Park, his mom and I thought it was a fine place to start (especially when considering the cost - nada). So, we packed him in his car seat, shoved the stroller in the back of my SUV, and headed out on our little adventure.

It's not hard to enjoy any outing when it's your first time out of the house in a week (thank you, sweet grandchild, for sharing your lovely summer cold with me) but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful our destination turned out to be. Nestled in the trees adjacent to a small golf course, the zoo (previously unknown to me) occupied a small corner of the extensive park location that also included numerous picnic benches and several playground areas. Blessed with an unbelievably pleasant July 1 Chicago day, we planted our very willing subject in his royal throne and proceeded to hike up the hill to the first animal enclosure.

First up were a couple of bald eagles. Feeling incredibly sad that these magnificent creatures were sitting on a couple of tree branches unable to spread their wings and get the hell out of there, I was encouraged to read the sign that said neither one was actually able to fly for one reason or another but they still looked pretty darn miserable having to be our morning entertainment. My grandson, however, looked anything but miserable. While he certainly couldn't have been described as "delighted" at the sight of them, he was something else - "interested; very, very interested".

As we moved around the other enclosures, he stopped to point to and try to pronounce the name of every creature he encountered from a peacock to an otter. He even made an elephant noise at the sight of a statue of a mastodon (don't ask). By the time we entered the reptile house, where he got a chance to get up close and personal with a couple of turtles and an alligator that gave his mom and I the creeps after that horrible Florida incident, he was completely enthralled. And so were we.

For the first time in a very, very long time, I got to enjoy a child's first meeting with some new members of his ever-expanding world and it only made me more excited to be with him for all the introductions that lie ahead. Watching his little face try to make sense of what he was experiencing and then turning to share it with his mom and me only made me hungry for more.

So, I hope and pray that I'm around for that first train ride or his first trip to the Planetarium or even his obligatory meeting with Mickey Mouse. I hope I get to share the moment he sees his favorite animated characters on a gigantic movie screen, tastes double-chocolate chip ice-cream for the first time, or watches fireworks light up the sky (I think I have a pretty good chance at that one).

This little guy makes everything old new again. And who wouldn't want to hang around with someone who can do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment