Saturday, April 24, 2010

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho

Now that my lifelong job of being a mom is winding down, you would think that I have a lot more time to myself. Funny, I don't. I always imagined my post-menopausal years to be filled with travel, volunteering and the occasional obligatory continuing education class. I thought it would be a time for both intellectual and spiritual growth. I was sure I would finally plow through a Chopin piece or master Italian. What my friendly crystal ball never revealed was an economic tsunami that would result in my husband's job loss and require me to return to nearly full-time employment.

It's not that I mind working. God knows, no job could ever be more taxing than the one I'm "retiring" from. I'm lucky enough to work at a local tennis club and my hours there are generally enjoyable, if not particularly well-paid. I get to share my days with others who enjoy an activity that I love and occasionally, I even get paid to play tennis. The problem is, I seem to be existing in a state of constant exhaustion which has forced me to face a simple fact - I was a lot younger the last time I did this. So now I'm working on a new scenario for my future. My current plan is to continue this blog, accumulate enough amusing slices of life to send to an agent and reap the rewards of a job I can do sitting down. If I can somehow churn out a bestseller, I might be able to swing the two things I desire most: a return trip to Italy and a chance to sleep past seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment