Sunday, August 28, 2011

Where Are We Going?

Every year Money magazine has an article detailing the best places to live in America. I look forward to reading this issue each summer, hoping that some detail mentioned will be the catalyst to propel me to finally decide on my next (and hopefully last) zip code. Number one this year is Louisville, Colorado. Never heard of it but it looks nice enough; beautiful scenery, reasonable housing, strong economy. The town looks like something out of 1950s America, with a charming historic district and smiling children cuddled with their parents on a picnic blanket. It might be a contender except for one thing - winter.

I don't know where I want to eventually relocate but I'm pretty sure it won't be anywhere with little white flakes falling from the sky. Living an entire life in the Chicago area (with a couple of detours to England and Germany) had made me leery of settling anywhere with the potential of major snowfalls. I've definitely had it with winters that last for six months, white-knuckle driving and cold that takes your breath away. So I guess I'm out of luck hoping that the Money picks would help guide me. Nine out of the top ten are north of the Mason/Dixon line.

So the search goes on. Maybe I'll stumble across that perfect place with low taxes, warm temperatures and beautiful scenery. Maybe next year's list will uncover a hidden gem that moves me to hammer the "for sale" sign in my front yard. Maybe I'll sell my book or win the lottery so I can live half the year in a Tuscan villa and half the year here in the Midwest, close to family.

Stop laughing. A girl can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment