Tuesday, November 29, 2011

It Wasn't a Fluke

It's great to prove to yourself that you can accomplish a goal. It's even better when you can prove to yourself that you're capable of doing it more than once. That's why I'm sitting here, just a little bit proud of myself. Last year, I managed to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. It was something I've always wanted to do and taking up the challenge of the National Novel Writing Month, I surprised myself by actually being able to do it.

This year, I'm happy to say, I did it again. I finished three days early this time and I'm on my way to finishing my second novel in two years. At this rate, I'll catch up to Danielle Steel when I'm 137! I haven't actually managed to edit the first one yet and I'm still stuck trying to find an ending to the one I'm currently working on but none of that matters. My very undisciplined self managed to sit myself in front of a computer for two or three hours every day for the second time. I can no longer say that I can't do it. And since this book was complete fiction (with the exception of the European locales I just can't stop thinking about), I can't say I have no imagination. What I can say is that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it. Okay, that's not true. I will never be able to be an Olympic figure skater. I will never walk on the moon. I will never be able to fly. But I will be able to be a published author. These last thirty days have finally convinced me.

No comments:

Post a Comment