Monday, June 11, 2012

Wedding Bell Blues

It's finally here - the onslaught of weddings that will occupy considerable space on my calendar for the foreseeable future officially started this past weekend. First up was the wedding of a young man I've known since birth. His parents are part of a circle of friends that have graced our lives for the last thirty years. We all got married together, we had children together and now we are moving into the inevitable role of father/mother of the bride/groom.

It was a beautiful, sunny day, the kind of day that cements June's reputation as the perfect wedding month. The bride and groom were right off the top of that cake, the venue was charming; heck, even the food was good. So where was my previously incurable romantic self hiding during all the festivities? And who was that cynical, considerably older persona that had taken her place?

It might have had something to do with being married for almost three decades. As much as I want to believe that two young people can find their soul mates and live happily ever after, I'm realistic enough to know how tough that happily ever after thing is; how challenging it can be to share your life with another human being, even if, against all odds, you end up picking the right one.

So, tonight I'll be saying a prayer for all the couples committing themselves to each other in front of God and family. I'll pray they won't give up when the you-know-what hits the fan. I'll pray they weather adversity with humor and kindness.

And I'll pray that thirty years from now, they'll still look at each other the way they did on a warm, sunny day in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment