Wednesday, April 24, 2013

One Man's Generosity

One of the most amazing things about life is how often it surprises you. Just when you think you've seen it all, something happens that reminds you that you haven't.

Tonight my husband and I went out for pizza to a new coal oven pizza place whose bakers throw the dough in the air, slide it into an inferno and produce a paper thin pie in a matter of minutes. My husband had recently completed a website commercial for the owner and was anxious to deliver the finished product. I, of course, was more than happy to go along for the ride. . .as long as there was one of those delicious-looking pizzas from the video at the end of it.

The owner greeted us and told us how much he liked the video and we sat down to sample the goods. Within minutes, a smiling young man was standing at our table. Assuming he was our waiter, I listened as he said his name was Tony and then went on to say that tonight he was going to buy our dinner. My husband and I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the owner had sent over one of his staff to say the meal was on the house in appreciation for the completed commercial but we soon realized that this was not the case. This was a complete stranger offering to treat us to the dinner of our choice. When pressed further, he stated that he'd struggled for the last few years but now was doing so well that he not only was buying our dinner but popping for all the other tables in the restaurant as well.

We tried to refuse but he wouldn't take no for an answer. As we watched him make his way around to the other beneficiaries of his giving spirit, we couldn't help wondering how his random act of kindness would inspire everyone it touched. Would the family at the table near the window invite a homeless family for dinner? Would the couple by the door offer to pay for the senior citizen's groceries waiting behind them in the checkout line? Would the waitress donate a percentage of her tips to her favorite charity?

Who knows? I just know I'm going to do something. I don't know what, where or when but if I were you, I'd want to start hanging out with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment