Monday, July 22, 2013

Watch Out

Moving out of the motherhood is challenging and re-inventing yourself is an up and down journey that throws more curve balls at you than Chris Carpenter throws at National League hitters. You have to get motivation and inspiration wherever you can find it. And where do I usually find it? That's right. . .sports.

Yesterday, I spent a few hours watching a golf tournament. Nothing unusual about that.Anyone who is a regular reader of this blog knows I'm kind of obsessed with sports and tune in to any major event that doesn't involve cricket, soccer or rugby. This latest excuse to put my own life on hold and gawk at a bunch of people actually doing something with theirs happened to be The British Open (or just The Open for those purists on the other side of the pond). I told myself that this productivity detour was okay because a) it came on at 7:00am and would be over by noon and b) one of my favorite players just happened to be in contention.

As I sat there, happily ensconced with The Sunday Tribune and a cup of tea (Britain, remember?), doing double duty rooting Phil on and cheering whenever Tiger made a mistake, I felt encouraged by what I saw unfolding in front of me. Here was a forty-three year-old guy that one month ago had the biggest disappointment of his career when he came in second in The U.S. Open for the sixth time (after leading in the final round with a couple of holes to go). He was conquering an insidious Scottish course that had chewed up and spit out some of the best players in the game. Not to mention, he was doing it after being written off as not having the kind of game to ever win this particular major.

So, what happened? Even non-sports nuts probably know the answer to that one. He went out there and won the thing from five shots back, leaving Tiger and a whole lot of other talented players in his wake. It was great TV but, for me, it was more than that. This was one for the good guys and I picked up a few pointers watching him on his way to winning The Claret Jug. He succeeded by taking chances and trusting his talent. He triumphed because he didn't listen to the naysayers that said he couldn't. And he came out on top without acting like a jerk while he was doing it.

Now that he's won the tournament, I wonder if he might have a few minutes to teach me one other lesson - how to stop watching others live out their dreams and go out and fulfill a few of my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment