Tuesday, July 30, 2013

We Can Work it Out

I'm well into my second month of healthier eating (you did not see me eating a McDonald's cheeseburger and small fries this afternoon - that must have been somebody else) and daily exercise (yes, that was me taking a thirty minute walk this morning at 8:00 a.m.) and I've come to a few conclusions:

     1.   It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
     2.   It's not as much fun as Jillian Michaels would like you
           to think it's going to be.
     3.   I like feeling stronger than I did twenty years ago. If 
           my knees would co-operate, I think I would be on my 
           way to kicking some serious ass.
     4.   I love kale (already discussed in a previous blog but 
           worth noting again) but I love it even more when
           someone else cuts it up. This goes for all salad 
           materials.
     5.   I can scale back treats and still feel satisfied. Today I 
           stopped in a new donut shop (c'mon, I'm just trying to
           support a new local business), bought two donuts and
          cut them into quarters to put in my freezer. The single 
          bite of peanut butter chocolate cake donut topped with
          a Hershey's kiss was shockingly enough).
     6.   I've grown to like lemon water, especially the fizzy
           variety that Whole Foods sells.
     7.   Walking with your shoulders back and butt tucked
           under makes anyone look like they lost five pounds.
     8.   As much as I hate getting up early, exercising in the
           morning does give me more energy for the rest of the 
           day. (I always dismissed this notion as a delusional
           ranting of confirmed morning people but damn if they
           weren't right).
     9.   I'm actually starting to lose my taste for super-rich
           foods. Looks like I won't be dining at Cheesecake
           Factory anytime soon.
   10.   I would eat fresh fish two or three times a week if it
           didn't cost the same amount of money as a new piece
           of jewelry. Why is crappy eating so much cheaper than
           healthy eating???!!

I'm sure there will be more revelations in the future and I'm counting on subsequent updates to keep me honest. For anyone else interested in joining me on this quest, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you're doing.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to do fifty push-ups? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment