Friday, August 2, 2013

Taming the Green Monster

It's been a while since I've taken a good look at the Ten Commandments but I seem to remember there's something in there about not coveting your neighbor's goods. I'm happy to say I don't usually have a problem with that; I'm lucky enough to have some pretty nice stuff. What I do occasionally have a problem with is envying someone else's good fortune and I don't think I've stumbled on any kind of loophole in the commandment with that one.

This week, that ugly, green monster raised its head when someone I love very much had something wonderful happen to her. She and her family got an invitation to an exclusive event that I would have loved to have attended. As much as she wanted to include me, she couldn't. When she called to apologize, I did my best to let her off the hook. We had a long conversation that included a lot of joking around; you know, stuff like, "Go, have a good time. We'll just PhotoShop me in the pictures later" but I can't help thinking that my feeble attempts at sarcasm and humor might have only made her feel worse.

When we got off the phone, I started to analyze our conversation and this time I knew I should be the one doing all the apologizing. I have had so much good fortune in my life. I have an amazing house, a couple of cars in the driveway and have been lucky enough to travel the world. My friend, though blessed with a loving family and everything she really needs, has had it a little tougher. She's had more financial struggles and dealt with more health issues. And it's not fair. She's the most giving, loving person I know and should have nothing but the best in her life.

So, when she posts her pictures, I'm not going to feel sorry for myself. I'm not going to allow myself to feel one tiny, little bit of resentment or jealousy. I'm going to be happy for her; really, truly happy for her because no one deserves it more.

But I can still be jealous of her husband, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment