Monday, July 28, 2014

Hugging It Out

When one of your kids is getting ready to move halfway across the country, hugs are at a premium. I know I'm blessed to live in the era of Skype, FaceTime, and texting; an era where communication is fast and cheap. When we lived in Germany twenty years ago, my phone calls back home were relegated to a once a week, fast-talking half hour that tacked $150 onto our monthly phone bills and made my time overseas an emotional challenge. I know that Colorado isn't Germany and 2014 isn't the early 90's; I'll have ample, inexpensive (often free) opportunities to keep up with my son's comings and goings. Technology has taken care of that.

What it hasn't done is figure out a way to hug someone who's residing in another time zone.

So, for the next twelve days my son had better be prepared. He's going to be hugged when he wakes up, when he puts his dishes in the sink, when he makes himself a grilled cheese sandwich, and when he signs off at night. He's going to get hugged before he goes out and when he comes back. And he might even get a couple for no reason at all.

Except for the reason that in twelve days, I won't be able to hug him at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment