Monday, July 7, 2014

The Story Goes On

My grandson won't make his arrival for a couple of months but he sure is making his presence known. My daughter's ever-expanding baby bump announces her impending motherhood to everyone she meets and is a constant source of amazement to this grandmother-to-be. I'm so excited about this new road that I'll soon be traveling but it's a little overwhelming seeing someone who once lived inside of me have someone now living inside of her.

I know this is how it's supposed to go but she's my baby. How can she possibly have a baby? I look through old photos and swear it was just a couple of years ago when she was jumping into the backyard wading pool or playing with Barbies. But when I feel the life growing in her tummy and I see the woman she has become, I know those days are very far away.

Maybe every mother feels this way when the nest is finally empty. Maybe we've spent so much time and energy raising our children that it's tough to fully reconcile the transformation from child to adult. Maybe those memories are so vivid, so special that we just don't want to let them go.

Or maybe, just maybe, that's why God created grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment