Saturday, November 13, 2010

26,140 To Go

This is my first blog in almost two weeks and I'm not sure when you might see the next one. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm firmly enmeshed in the insanity of trying to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. All I can say is, it's amazing what you can do when you really put your mind to it. When I told my husband that this is the hardest thing I've ever done, he asked, "Harder than childbirth?" I had to think about that one. While there are some similarities and I wouldn't want to compare the pain of the two endeavors, I will say in childbirth's favor, it was over in one day. The birth of my novel is taking thirty, long, tiring days of labor and I'm still not convinced there's going to be a baby at the end of it.

Still, I'm plodding through. Through writer's block, characters spouting trite dialogue and a plot that's going in circles, I press on. I can almost see the finish line but I know that some speed bumps are waiting to knock me off track. If all else fails, I can always resort to typing my washing machine manual into my book. The challenge says 50,000 words. It doesn't say they have to make sense.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is, it's amazing what you can do when you really put your mind to it--Coleen.

    I'm proud of you. You're doing well, with twice as many words as me. You will be a Nano winner, I can see that now, Coleen. Then edit away, like Michelangelo chipping David from the stone, and you will have a publishable novel. Good for you for building the stone (the heaviest part).

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    I'm so glad you posted something to my blog. I didn't get your nano name before the end of the meeting so we could have been writing buddies. I know it must have been tough with a full time job but I hope you feel encouraged with what you've been able to do. I never thought I was going to get here but I'm at 43.140 and I know I'm going to make it. Please stay in touch. Hope to see you at the final 12/4 meeting.
    Coleen

    ReplyDelete