Friday, December 10, 2010

Okay,The Lights Are Up. . .

One of my first blogs was right around this time of year in 2009 when I groused about how much I'd come to dislike Christmas now that my children are older. When I went back and read it, I realized how close to Scrooge I sounded. Determined to make the holidays a more enjoyable experience in 2010, I vowed to get the decorations up earlier, make lists for everyone before I hit the stores and start churning out those Christmas cookies the first week of December.

Well, as you well know I was a little pre-occupied in November so nothing was addressed besides the writing of the next great American novel. Today, I went to Costco and actually purchased our first real Christmas tree in years. I also braved the elements (okay, it was almost forty degrees) to put up some lights outside. Which brings me to my only grumbling of the day. Why do manufacturers of these tiny instruments of torture not make it easier to find which bulbs are out so you don't have to pitch the whole damn string into the nearest trash receptacle? It never fails that the very string that lit up so beautifully inside the house, fails to do the same once it's nestled in the bushes. I don't mind traipsing through the snow to put them on but I'll be damned if I'm going to stand out there searching for the one bulb that is disabling half of the lights I just lovingly threw on our landscaping.

So, here's how it's going to go down next year. I'm hitting the after Christmas sales this year and purchasing a whole boatload of those suckers. I'm then going to pitch every last one of the lights we own (sorry, I do try to be green but this is war) and know that I'll be ready for 2011. Of course, if the half strands that are still out there doing their job give up the fight, I'll find myself in Target sooner than I expected. Who am I kidding? I'm bound to be there anyway finishing the shopping I swore would be done by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment