Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Some Things Never Change

Today, I looked out of my bathroom window to see a familiar sight. The ritual of building a massive snow fort after the first major storm had begun. Snow was flying everywhere as the mound of white stuff deposited at the end of the cul-de-sac by our friendly, neighborhood plow began to take shape. My husband and son were crawling around on all fours as they dug out places to sit, as well as a tunnel to wiggle through. Gloved hands painstakingly molded the outer walls until the icy mass resembled an Eskimo palace. In years past I would have been a puddle of tears watching father and son build their masterpiece but this year I was too busy laughing. My husband is fifty-seven and my son is twenty-two!

They said they were getting it ready for my ten year old nephew's arrival but I wasn't falling for that one. I have no doubt that they were enjoying themselves just for the sheer fun of getting out there and playing in the snow. Hey, anything that gets my son away from video gaming and my husband away from his desk is okay by me. The fact that they were having so much fun constructing this winter playhouse (due to melt by the end of the week) made me appreciate the fact that our kids are still living with us. It's not often that I see anything resembling a Norman Rockwell painting around here so I'm going to savor every moment I get. I might even be waiting with the hot chocolate. With marshmallows.

2 comments:

  1. Awww....I love this! Glad you could watch from a distance and really appreciate how very cool their 'snow fort bonding time' is! I'm sure Payton has been enjoying all of their efforts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://whiteroses-aimee.blogspot.com/2010/12/shes-matador-of-ocean.html

    Coleen: check out my blogpost above for Naperville writer Aimee, who is having surgery. She invited a few writers to guest blog for her, so I wrote her a small allegorical tale. Steve

    P.S. Glad your 'scope turned out well. Funny entry in your blog.

    ReplyDelete