Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Going (Slowly) For the Gold

This is the time I start regretting my incredibly lazy, unproductive life. Every four years, when I see a bunch of sixteen year-old kids prancing around in sequined leotards, overcoming mind-numbing pressure that would bring the rest of us to our knees, I feel more than a little inadequate. They get themselves into the gym every morning, rain or shine. I can't even follow through on my promise to do 100 crunches every night. They juggle training, school, and competitions. I haven't vacuumed in two weeks and I work twenty hours a week. They've accomplished a life-long goal of winning an Olympic gold medal before they were able to drive a car. It took me fifty-six years to write the novel I always dreamed of writing and I still haven't managed to finish editing the darn thing.

It may sound like I've given in to a lot of whining (now there's an Olympic event I would excel in) but, the truth is, I'm in awe. I can't fathom the determination, drive, and dedication it takes to be a world-class athlete in any sport. And I also can't fathom the commitment of the parents. When I see them in the stands, I think about all the early morning wake-up calls, all the traveling, all the meets they've sat through. I also think about the financial commitment they've all made. Sure, the parents of the Fab Five should see some return on that investment but what about the parents of the skeet shooters or the synchronized divers? I don't think their kids will be showing up on the cover of Sports Illustrated anytime soon. I like to tell myself that I would have done whatever I could to help my children achieve their dreams but I think I'm secretly relieved that neither of them showed extraordinary talent in a sport that would have forced me to confront that issue. Would I really have taken out that second mortgage?

So, why do I spend every night glued to my TV? Why do I torture myself? The answer is, I can't help it. I love watching people triumph over adversity (especially when NBC puts together one of those tear-jerker back story pieces). I love watching people dig down and find strength and ability they didn't know they had. I love watching people (even if they are still teenagers) achieve their dreams. And why wouldn't I? I know it's too late for me to do a back handspring on that balance beam but I still have a few unfulfilled dreams that I can take a crack at.

And I can use all the inspiration I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment