Thursday, August 2, 2012

It's Not You, It's Me

I don't know if it's my age, my lack of hormones or the heat but I'm not exactly a people person these days. While I'm not packing my bags for a move to Walden Pond, the idea of spending a week or two in a cabin by myself sounds pretty darn appealing right now. Twenty years ago, I could never have imagined saying such a thing. The thought of spending that much time without the possibility of conversation would have filled me with fear. I needed people to feel whole; I didn't know what to do when I was alone.

My husband, on the other hand, always had a need for alone time. When we first got married it bothered me. Why did he want to get away from me? Why did he want; no, need to have so much space? Now I know. As is often the case with husbands and wives, our timing was just off. Now that I appreciate the benefits of enjoying my own company, he is feeling lonely and left out. Now that I understand what he was talking about a couple of decades ago, he is lobbying for more togetherness. I don't want to hurt his feelings but I'm trying to figure out who I am now that I'm not a full-time mom. I need some (maybe more than some) time alone to find the answers.

But, if there's any justice in the crazy world of relationships, we should be on the same page by the time we hit seventy.

No comments:

Post a Comment