Monday, August 6, 2012

Just the Invite I Needed

Okay, so I missed a day. I should have written a blog on Friday but, as I used to tell my math teacher when she badgered me about that missing homework, I have a good excuse. God heard my prayers about needing a week or two in a cabin in the woods and answered them in the form of a phone call from a good friend who invited me to her lake house for the weekend. It was such a wonderful break, I'm going to overlook the fact that He misheard my prayer by a week or so.

After a 3 1/2 hour drive, we settled in to her cozy place just long enough to get back into the car to head into the town of Beaver Dam, a thriving metropolis of 16,000. All I want to know is: how does a town that small have an Italian restaurant that good? Then, it was back to the house to talk, read, and finally, sleep (once that dive-bombing fly left my room - but I'm not complaining).

The next morning, I was up at 7.  Not my usual hour to rise on a weekend but the sun and the promise of a tennis match was all the incentive I needed. So what if she beat me 6-0, 6-1. The trade-off was more than worth it; two days of reading, talking, eating, floating on the pontoon boat, more reading, more talking, and, oh yeah, a night of outdoor games where I discovered that I'm pretty darn good at beer pong.

Just in case you think this was a weekend of all play and no work, let me assure you, it was not. My friend, who's quite the little slave driver, made me earn my keep by suggesting I break out the screwdriver and help her re-align her screen door that had popped out of its track. I'm pretty sure I broke a sweat before we rewarded ourselves for a job well done by opening that last bottle of wine.

And, just so you know, in a few weeks she's making me go back to help her clean out her shed.

It's a rotten job but somebody has to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment