Friday, November 2, 2012

Deal or No Deal

That's it. I surrender. I have had it with car salesmen, dealerships, mechanics and finance managers. After a month of scanning the internet and driving all over tarnation looking for a reliable vehicle for my son, I have had enough. I have bought many cars in my lifetime and I don't remember it being anything like this. If it had been, I'm sure I would currently be riding a bike or taking public transportation.

I purchased my first car when I was sixteen. My dad, of course, had to co-sign but I was able to purchase a brand new Toyota Corolla while working at a part-time job that paid $1.65 an hour. Okay, I'm old but that doesn't explain why buying a car in 2012 is such an unpleasant, difficult experience. I'd venture a guess that it has something to do with those troublemakers in Washington. The housing crisis and the economic downturn caused from passing out currency like Halloween candy have made it almost impossible to borrow money, especially if you don't have much of a credit history. How you get a credit history while no one will issue you credit is a kink in the system the banking industry has yet to iron out but their desire to be more fiscally responsible is something I can understand. What I don't understand is how finance companies and banks can get away with charging 10.9% interest to someone when he has a co-signer who has a credit score over 800!

So now I have two choices. I can continue looking (please don't make me) for a cheap vehicle that my husband and I can loan him the money to buy (which does nothing to help his lack of credit problem) or I can co-sign on a loan for a car that will likely last him until he makes the last payment. Anything in between is out because banks won't finance loan amounts less than five or six thousand dollars. No doubt they're making enough with all the nickel and dime fees they charge. Why should they be bothered with small loans that might improve some young person's credit and encourage customer loyalty? I could be wrong but I thought that's what all that bailout money was supposed to be for. All I know is that I'm tired of the whole exhausting, stressful, not-fun process. I'm tired of searching, worrying and researching. I just want my kid to have a car and I'd like for him not be ripped off in the process.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment