Monday, November 5, 2012

Done Deal

It's over. My kid has wheels and I will not have to step into a car dealership, used car lot or finance manager's office for the foreseeable future. As I detailed in my last blog, I have been helping my son try to find a reasonable vehicle for some time and am more than relieved to have the process over with. We may have been able to track down a better value but at this point, I don't care. It's done and I don't have to look at cars anymore.

The funny thing is, no one has told my computer to knock it off. Since I did a lot of the research online, my computer thinks I'm still looking so deals keep popping up all over the place. It's scary, actually, that I'm only getting ads for the make and models we were targeting, which only cements the idea that our every move is being tracked. I don't know how to make it stop - I never realized how many car commercials there were until I actually started paying attention - and I don't want some great deal to pop up reminding me what a great car I could have found for him, if only I would have been a little more patient.

I have to keep telling myself he's happy. For all the crazy running around, the anxiety about co-signing a loan and the endless pressure applied by car salesmen, all I had to do is look at his face when they handed him the key. Getting your first car is something special. It was exhausting but I'm glad I got to be a part of it.

As a parent, it's tough to know sometimes if you're helping or enabling; coddling or instructing. I beat myself up a lot over past mistakes and I have a lot of guilt about how I've handled things.

But not this time. This time I know I did the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment