Monday, January 23, 2012

And God Said Ha

It's amazing how quickly life can change. One minute you can be posting a blog about sitting under a warm comforter, sipping tea, reading the latest issue of People magazine and the next minute you can find yourself mopping up sewer back-up from your basement shower. Allow me to explain.

When I last used this platform I rambled on about my blissful, snowy Friday night with nothing to do. Little did I know that while I was enjoying my peaceful reverie, my basement drain was busy percolating the most disgusting mess I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. After venturing downstairs to discover the foul smell and saturated carpets, the sound of my high-pitched screaming of my husband's name could be heard by neighbors across the street. My poor hubby had to throw off his snow boots and switch into his Wellies as he trudged down to face every homeowner's worst nightmare.

That we dug in as a team to clean up the initial onslaught was the only good thing about the rest of the night. We set up an early morning appointment with the plumber, employed the services of a restoration company and made a call to our insurer. We spent the rest of the weekend watching our beautiful basement be torn apart and thrown into contractor bags.

Through the constant hum of machinery used to dry out the area, I keep telling myself that it could have been so much worse. The damage didn't affect many personal belongings, it didn't turn out to be a broken pipe that could have put our house out of commission for days if not weeks, and it didn't happen while we were off on vacation (although that sounds like a great idea at the moment). No doubt it's a hassle to rehire people to come out and redo what we painstakingly did almost ten years ago but if that's the worst of it, I shouldn't complain.

I have learned a lot from this experience. I've learned that you're supposed to call the city before anyone else when there's any sewer back-up, that there are service people who won't try to fleece you when you're vulnerable and that my husband is prepared for any problem that may arise at any moment. God bless him.

But the most important thing I've learned is the next time I get that feeling that life is too darn perfect for words, I'm going to keep my big mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment