Monday, January 16, 2012

Looking for Mr. President

I'm breaking with my usual self-absorption to go on an old-fashioned rant. I am so sick of politics. I am so tired of listening to speeches, ads and debates designed to influence my choice for the next leader of the free world. Let me start by saying, that I think anyone who would actually want that job has to be more than a little bit insane. Given that, our current slate of available candidates seems to be the sorriest lot I have ever seen.

When I think of the money, energy, and time that is being wasted to get one of these yo-yos into office, I can't help but wish that our country would wise up and handle this whole procedure like the Brits. Every once in awhile they call for an election. The parties then have six weeks to convince you that their guy is the guy for the job. They don't have senators, governors, etc. putting their current jobs on the back burner for eighteen months or more while they campaign for a job that they may never get. They don't waste hundreds of millions of dollars on tacky, confusing ads that only serve to make the whole country sick and tired of the political process a year before the election even arrives.

I have no doubt that there are some good men (don't see any more women on the horizon) angling for my vote. But, to tell you the truth, I'm sick of the whole lot of them. They all promise to fix what the last guy's screwed up without ever acknowledging that they might have had a hand in those problems in the first place. Any chance of getting someone into that big, white house on Pennsylvania Avenue that is actually able to change anything is getting more and more remote as partisan politics pushes good sense and compromise right out the window.

I keep hoping that someone will step up to the plate and make me change my mind. He (or she) will have a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment