Friday, January 20, 2012

Snowed In

Friday nights are the best. When you're young, they herald the start of two days without school. When you get to be a teenager, they evolve into date nights. After you get married, they are often the only time for two hard working individuals to snuggle on the couch with a DVD and a pizza, knowing that that nasty alarm won't be bothering them the next morning. Yes, Fridays have a lot going for them. There's only one thing that can make them even better - eight inches of snow on the ground.

When I was a kid, I would have hated a major snowfall to hit on a Friday afternoon. Knowing that the streets would be clear before the arrival of the dreaded Monday morning sunrise alarm, I would feel God had cheated me out of one of life's greatest pleasures - a snow day. Now that I'm an adult, it's the perfect time for a blizzard. I don't have to worry about getting to work, I have a comfy couch and a fifty inch plasma and a husband that actually enjoys shoveling snow. Even better, I have a mailman who navigated the yet to be plowed cul-de-sac to bring me my latest issue of People.

Okay, I would prefer to be lounging on a beach in St. Lucia but since that doesn't appear to be an option anytime soon, I'm more than happy to settle for hunkering down with my new lambswool throw, sipping a cup of chai tea while leafing thru the pages of who wore what to the Golden Globes. Every now and then, I'll check out what's happening at the Australian Open as well as look out the window to see what's happening on my driveway. I might even heat up a piece of my soon-to-be-closed favorite pizza parlor's par-baked pizzas that I'm hoarding in the freezer.

Like I said, snowy Fridays with no place to go are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment