Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's Only a Game

It's taken me a couple of days to bring myself to talk about it. As anyone who reads this blog regularly knows, I'm a bit of a sports nut. Okay, more than a bit. Instead of January, February, March, etc., my calendar reads football, Australian Open, hockey, The Masters, Wimbledon; well, you get the picture. I support all the Chicago teams but I am an especially rabid Bears fan. Unfortunately.

Sunday was a sad, sad day for Bears fans. Hoping against hope that this unbelievably lucky streak that they've been on all season would hold until they made it to the Super Bowl, I invited my entire family to share in the glorious victory over the hated Packers. We didn't get the victory. We didn't even get any points on the board until the second half. What we did get was an exciting (although totally predictable) ending. We also got acquainted with our third string quarterback. Seems like a nice guy, which is more than I can say for our first stringer.

The day wasn't a total loss. My family brought tons of food and lots of alcoholic beverages. There was even a giant chocolate cake to drown my sorrows in. They're a fun group; they refuse to let anyone wallow. If I have to have my dreams crushed, these are the people I want to have talking me off the ledge. As they pulled out of the driveway, I thought about how much worse it could be.

I could be dreaming about the Cubs winning the World Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment