Monday, January 10, 2011

The Parents Are Coming, The Parents Are Coming

One of the worst things about getting older is the fact that your parents are getting older too. After attending the funeral of the mother of one of my co-worker's, I spent this weekend reflecting on just how lucky I am to have both of my parents in my life. At eighty, they are still relatively healthy, able to participate in most family activities (okay, bowling is out) and live just a short distance from our home. They are two of the most generous, kind, intelligent people you would ever want to meet and I know how blessed I am to have them swimming in my gene pool.

How do you ever let such special people know how much you appreciate them? I have no idea. There is no way I can ever repay them for the loving, secure foundation they provided me. There is no way I can ever make up for all the money spent, hours worked or all the other sacrifices they have made to ensure my health and happiness. Now that I have adult children who are struggling to find their place in the world, I realize more than ever what a great combination of love and discipline; support and encouragement my own parents were able to provide. Now that I think of it, I'm getting a little angry. Why did they have to go and set the bar so damn high? It just makes the rest of us look bad.

Since it's impossible for me to truly show them how grateful I am to have had them as parents, I'm opting for doing the next best thing - feeding them. Every Sunday they have a standing invitation for dinner accompanied by HD baseball/football/golf/whatever. The sport isn't important; it's just an excuse to get them to come down for a few hours of conversation and gluttony. It's not always fine dining (yesterday it was Sloppy Joe's and pound cake) but they always make me feel as if it is. Great. Just one more thing I have to thank them for.

2 comments:

  1. We are so incredibly blessed..and I feel the same way. I thank God that they are still here with us, too. I'll just keep finding ways to tell them or show them how grateful I am to have them in my life...and in my children's, each and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're incredibly blessed..and I feel the same way as dkkaye. I thank God that my folks are still here with us, too. I'll just keep finding ways to tell them or show them how grateful I am to have them in my life...and in my son's, each and every day.

    I try to spend time with my parents, also. They make me whole. They will not be here forever. As neither will I. Someday soon, all we will have is the memories.

    So, keep making them.

    ReplyDelete