Friday, January 7, 2011

Truth or Consequence

Last week I wrote about a particularly difficult incident with one of my kids. When your children are in their twenties and still living at home, it's hard not to be affected by their mistakes. This wasn't anything life or jail threatening but it did hurt. The hardest part was being lied to and dealing with the loss of trust that will be affecting our relationship for some time to come.

Two days after our family meltdown, our son left for Colorado. It was a trip that had been planned for weeks but the act of rewarding himself with a vacation when things were so broken seemed ill-advised and wrong. A friend advised me to warn him that if he went on this trip, he would have to find another place to live when he came home. I couldn't do it. Maybe I should have. Maybe he needed to finally learn that there are negative consequences to negative behavior but I just couldn't do it. Maybe he needed to man up and accept responsibility for his actions by giving up something he really wanted to do. He chose not to.

So, who's got the most to learn here?

No comments:

Post a Comment