Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This Sucks

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned how I had dreaded my children's teenage years. Looking back, they were a piece of cake compared to what we're dealing with now. Trying to help your adult children find their way in the world seems so much more difficult in 2011 than it ever was when I was younger. When I was their age, I had already bought my own car. I had already rented an apartment. I easily found employment. I had the tools to make it on my own. Even though I came from a family where much was done for me at home, I managed to handle laundry, grocery shopping and bill paying without too much trouble. More importantly, I did it without alienating the two people who had brought me into this world.

Is it asking too much to expect your twenty-something children to leave the nest without disconnecting completely? Is it unreasonable to expect them to treat you with love and respect as they walk out the door? Is it naive to think they might miss you as much as you're going to miss them? I thought I knew the answers to those questions. Today, I'm not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment