Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bumps in the Road

Yesterday was a particularly bumpy ride on my way out of the motherhood. Can't say that anything major precipitated this emotional meltdown other than a less than perfect phone call with my son but that seems to be the pattern. The act of letting go of the reins of full-time motherhood is a dicey operation. Sometimes you're able to steer your way around the potholes and sometimes you're not.

Expecting your grown up male child to keep you informed of what's going on in his life is a little like peace in the Middle East. You want it to happen with all of your heart and soul but know there's not a chance in hell of it actually taking place. So while I think I'm asking for something completely reasonable, he sees it as an invasion of his privacy. While I think I'm just trying to forge the new and improved version of our relationship, he thinks I'm trying to keep him a child forever. I honestly don't think that's true but I did underestimate how hard it was going to be to let go.

The day did end on a happy note when he and his girlfriend showed up on our doorstep with dessert. I tried to keep the conversation light. He gave me extra hugs. I didn't pry or give advice. He brought chocolate. We're getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment