Friday, February 4, 2011

eHarmony and Friends

My daughter joined an online dating network a few weeks ago. She now has one hundred and sixteen matches waiting for her perusal. So far she has gone out with four of them. To be honest, if I were single again (perish the thought), I would definitely give online matchmaking a try. It can't be worse than the way I used to meet potential boyfriends; i.e. blind dates, bars and my sister's discards. But it is a little scary. As a parent, you can't help envisioning a demented serial killer waiting for your firstborn at Starbucks. I've looked at their pictures and profiles. They all look normal (except for one that looked exactly like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast) but so did Ted Bundy.

Luckily, my daughter wants my opinion. She sifts through her favorites before asking what I think of each potential candidate. I'm amazed how many men are on the site. I'm even more amazed by how honestly and thoughtfully many of them seem to answer the questions. (Although there was one who answered 'Why are you on eHarmony?' with one word - sex. Got to give him props for honesty. Wonder how many responses he got?) Despite the requisite weirdos, there seem to be a lot of nice, hard-working, family oriented guys who say they want what my daughter wants - someone to accept and love them for who they are; someone to laugh with; someone to share their life with. Don't we all?

It all sounds too good to be true. But, given the chance to find real love, how often do women ignore the great guy right under their noses in order to hook up with the good looking bad boy who's bound to break their hearts? In our house, way too often so I am encouraged by the fact that my daughter is trying to break the pattern. If this doesn't work, I may be forced to resort to that age-old remedy of finding your children a mate - a good, old-fashioned arranged marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment