Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Pity Party is Over . . . For Now

If you look at the description of this blog, it's supposed to be an "often humorous" look at the transition from full-time motherhood to whatever comes next. As anyone who's been reading this over the last few weeks knows, it's been anything but funny. Well, that's about to change. Beating myself up about the mistakes I've made as a parent could easily turn into a full-time job. Since that occupation doesn't pay very well, I've decided to direct my energies elsewhere.

Although I have one foot out the door of full-time parenting, our daughter is still gracing us with her presence so I still have opportunities to impart my hard-won wisdom on somebody. God knows, she's having her own transitional issues. She's between boyfriends and jobs. She's undecided about returning to school. She's confused about where she wants to live, although I did hear her mention to a friend that she might as well live here until she's thirty. She did laugh after she said that. That means she was kidding, right?

So, from now on, I'm going to concentrate on getting my own act together. I'll help my kids when I can (hopefully, not before I'm asked) but I'm going to stop focusing on the things that I cannot control and start working on what I can. That bestseller is not going to edit itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment