Friday, February 11, 2011

Football Blues

I know this blog is supposed to be about the transition out of full time motherhood but today I'm mourning another transition - the end of the football season. Every year is difficult but this one ended with a spirit crushing, hard to swallow Super Bowl triumph by our arch rivals so it's even tougher than usual. The fact that we wasted the opportunity to knock them out of the playoffs not once but twice makes the upcoming off-season even worse. Not that I held out much hope that we could have won it all. I'll cop to being a crazed Bears fan but I'm actually sane enough to know that the better team moved forward. But you can't blame me for hoping our luck would hold out for a little while longer.

I was surprised how much it all bothered me. It's just a game. I know that. But seeing Aaron Rodgers and his cohorts hoisting that trophy when we were unable to do it when we had the chance a few years ago; not gonna lie, it made me a little sick to my stomach. I also had to deal with a couple of zealous Packer fans the next day at work. Didn't make Monday morning any easier.

So, now what? What the heck am I going to do with my Sunday afternoons? Baseball's months away and I'm not that big of a fan anyway. Golf? Except for the pleasure of seeing Tiger lose another one, there's not much fun in that snoozefest. Basketball? I might get interested in the last two minutes and the NCAA can be addictive with all that bracket nonsense but nothing holds my interests in the same way those helmeted Monsters of the Midway do. I guess I'll just have to find another outlet to get through this never ending winter. Since I'm still procrastinating editing my book, anybody up for a scintillating game of Trivial Pursuit?

No comments:

Post a Comment