Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Couple of Perks

So now that we've gotten over the surprise (I wanted to say shock but I stopped myself) of our son's return to the old homestead, I'm trying to concentrate on the positives. Let's see. . .hey, don't rush me. I'm thinking. Well, I'm not feeling very positive about tripping over the assortment of childhood possessions that now litter our hallway and living room instead of his old bedroom. I'm also not crazy about moving vehicles every time I want to get out of my garage. And one more thing. . . Oh, wait, this is supposed to be about the positives.

Okay. Here's one. Yesterday, I happened to mention that I needed new tennis shoes. Surprisingly, he suggested heading over to the PGA Superstore (one of his favorite spots) to check out what they had. More surprisingly, he wanted to accompany me. Okay, he really wanted to go check out all the racquets and tennis gear but he put on a good show. Not that he had to twist my arm - I'm always a sucker for throwing plans out the window if it means I get a chance to spend a few hours with one of my kids. So, off we went in pursuit of new (marked down) tennis shoes and any other bargains we happened to run across.

But he wasn't the only one with an ulterior motive. I figured that once we were out running around, he would have to get hungry. And he couldn't make it through an entire lunch without a little conversation. And so it came to pass. A search for shoes (successful, thank you very much) gave way to a leisurely lunch at one of our favorite Italian (is there anything else?) spots where I gingerly questioned him about his plans and offered a few words of encouragement and even fewer words of advice.

Funny how even tough conversations go down easier when accompanied by a meatball sub and tortellini.


No comments:

Post a Comment