Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Reality is Highly Overrated

I've been hunkering down for the last couple of months with Italian guidebooks and cruise brochures - my favorite reading materials. I've mapped out possible train routes, visited Trip Advisor for the latest review of hotels in the Cinque Terre and calculated how to use our remaining frequent flier miles in the most efficient manner. I'm one of the those people who LOVE to plan vacations. I love the minutiae of picking out the right hotel; the best cruise ship; the perfect itinerary. And the best part - knowing that that travel date is out there in the future just waiting for me. I can put up with a lot of disappointment and stress when I know that date is on the calendar. It doesn't matter how many months down the road it might be - it's out there. As far as I'm concerned, you can have expensive jewelry, uncomfortable shoes and over-priced clothes - give me a memorable trip to a far away land any day.

But now I have to face the facts. As much as I want to throw reason out the porthole, I can't ignore the reality that now is not a good time for us to go. As much as I want to celebrate our upcoming birthdays and anniversary, the festivities will have to wait. It's funny. Many times I have been the voice of reason when my children were ready to jump into something without thinking it through; many times I have cautioned them to think with their heads instead of their hearts; many times I have warned them that they would be sorry if they didn't save their money for a rainy day.

Well, it's raining. And I have to listen to my own advice. And it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment