Friday, February 1, 2013

Turning Back the Clock

Okay. Time for another apology. I promised myself I would write three times a week and unless you count the grocery lists and telephone messages I jotted down, I have failed miserably. My last blog, written two weeks ago, was a short, pitiful attempt that didn't make up in the slightest for my subsequent neglect. In my defense, I have been busy writing for that website that's paying me for my work but that's a pretty hollow excuse considering that I've had plenty of time to watch a few sessions of Dr. Phil and get better acquainted with my new Kindle.

The funny thing is, since my last blog I've been thrown back into the motherhood I've been trying to move out of. Once again, we are a family of four living under the same roof. The kids (if I can get away with calling either of them that) are back in their old rooms. The reasons for each of them being there are different but the reality is the same. They are here because they are in need of a place to sleep while they figure out the next steps in their lives. They are here because they've had a temporary setback. They are here because this is their home.

Today, while I was making my son a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I had to laugh. After all that angst about moving out of the motherhood and dealing with my feelings about becoming an empty-nester, here I was standing in the kitchen making my child's lunch. (To be fair, I was making my husband one, too - I may be an enabler but at least I'm an equal opportunity enabler). Later, when I walked around my discombobulated household, filled with boxes of children's books and clothes that no longer fit (at least he cleaned all that stuff out of that room before he moved back in) I took a deep breath and reminded myself that all this chaos would be temporary.

I think I believe that.


No comments:

Post a Comment