Monday, February 25, 2013

They Might Surprise You

I don't want to start spouting cliches or anything (I can hear you haters out there saying, "What is she talking about . . . start?") but that old saying of "being darkest before the dawn" feels like truth right now. Just when you're ready to throw your hands up in the air, believing that your kids will never get it; that they will never accept responsibility for their own lives and grow up, something miraculous happens. They blow you out of the water with a random act of kindness or they step up and show themselves to be the kind of amazing human beings you felt sure they were all along.

I'm convinced that God loves to mess with our heads; to give us one encouraging, uplifting day that makes us forget about a few of the other ones. And this one did. From my son's willingness to share information about a fact-finding mission at the local college to my daughter's unexpected generous offer to partially subsidize the cancelled cruise I so whiningly described in a previous blog, I found it hard to wipe the smile off my face.

In the days following, I've had several interesting (if not particularly long) conversations with my son about a wide-ranging set of subjects and a quick game of Yahtzee. I know, it doesn't sound like much but it sure beats what passed for our recent communication. And, as for my daughter, we didn't take her money (as much as I might have wanted to) but we did accept her promise to treat us to an anniversary splurge at one of the specialty restaurants whenever we reschedule that cruise. Surprisingly, she didn't even look remotely relieved when she returned the money to her purse.

Now, if I can get them to put their dishes in the dishwasher or pull the vacuum out of the closet once in awhile, I might not have anything else to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment