Saturday, March 9, 2013

Let Them Eat Cupcakes

I'd like to make a case for an addition to the food group pyramid. We all know that we should be eating a diet of low-fat protein, lots of fruit and vegetables and healthy carbohydrates in the form of whole grains. But, c'mon, one perfect food has been ignored for too long and I'm convinced it needs to be added to the list of foods we should be eating if not daily, at least weekly. I'm speaking, of course, about the humble
cupcake - God's heavenly alternative to the celery stick.

Let's look at the positives. It's small, portable and can be decorated to accommodate any occasion. You can flavor it with just about anything that sparks your imagination, personalizing them to please a crowd of even the most picky eaters. Its calorie count is miniscule compared to its full-sized counterparts so guilt can be kept at a minimum and everyone from toddlers to grandmothers is crazy about them.

Just let a bowl of steamed kale try to tick off all those boxes.

Oh, I almost forgot the cupcake's most important attribute, its uncanny ability to make any day better and improve even the deepest case of the blues. For this alone, it needs to take its rightful place on the top of that pyramid. I know, I know, those crazy healthy food zealots will fight me but you know I'm right..

Should I make yours chocolate or vanilla?

No comments:

Post a Comment