Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Rolling the Dice

When your kids are little you spend a lot of time on the floor. You shake rattles over their chubby cheeks as they wiggle on a crocheted blanket. You push colorful trains along a wooden track as your excited toddler yells, "Choo-choo". And you suffer through yet another round of  sleep-inducing adventures in a place called Candyland.

Looking back, I cherish every one of those moments (really, even the Candyland) I spent crawling around on the carpet with my kids. From the building blocks to the board games to the building of Lego masterpieces, I wouldn't trade a minute of that floor time, especially now that it's nearly impossible for me to get down there. And even more impossible for me to get back up.

But the other night, I made the effort. A late night knock on my door had me ditching the remote and finding a way to contort my arthritic knees into a semi-lotus position just long enough to play a couple of games of Yahtzee with my not-so-little boy.

Because no matter how old your kids are, when they want to play with you, you've got to make it happen


No comments:

Post a Comment