Friday, September 24, 2010

All By Myself

It's official. I'm turning into a hermit. I thought my difficulty with last weekend's trip to a local watering hole to see my husband's band play was due entirely to my long-running distaste for the bar scene. Turns out, it's socializing in any environment that irritates me. Case in point: tonight I attended a couple of screenings of independent films appearing at our town's third annual film festival. This was something that I would have enjoyed immensely a few years ago. Having always loved movies, I would have jumped at the chance to hang out with people who make them and in previous years I did. But tonight all I could think about was how chilly it was in the theater, how uncomfortable the seats were and how much I would rather be home in my own bed watching a movie on TV.

I can't understand it. I used to be such an extrovert. Strangers were friends I hadn't met yet. But lately, while I still enjoy hosting friends and family in my own home, I'm not so crazy about putting on nice duds and venturing out for any kind of event. (This, however, does not seem to pertain to the possibility of return trips to Italy). Whatever is bothering me about hanging out with a crowd, I'd better get over it before tomorrow. That's when the festival is celebrating its big closing gala.

Do you think anyone will notice if I wear my slippers?

No comments:

Post a Comment