Sunday, September 5, 2010

Friends

I know this isn't Thanksgiving but I'm feeling pretty grateful. After enjoying a beautiful end of summer day in the company of some of the best people I know, I'm definitely in the mood to count my blessings. Let's start with the weather. After living in Chicago for most of my life, I'm aware that hosting an outdoor event has to include a Plan B. On this sunny Sunday in September, Plan B was completely unnecessary. Except for the inconsiderate neighbor who chose the moment our party started to mow his lawn (but that's another story), the great outdoors couldn't have been more inviting. Then, there was the food. Hardly gourmet fare but somehow firing up the grill and sharing simple food with great friends beats fine dining anytime. Of course, a glass of wine and an ear of fresh sweet corn don't hurt. Finally, there was the company. I've known for a long time that my husband and I have an amazing group of friends. They are a source of love, support and encouragement and have been for almost three decades. Seeing them gathered together in our backyard, sharing stories of our pasts and hopes for our futures, was the best part of the whole day. No wonder I'm feeling so blessed.

1 comment:

  1. God blessed us with a beautiful day, beautiful friends, beautiful fellowship!

    ReplyDelete