Monday, September 20, 2010

If the Suit Fits . . .

When exactly did my son turn into a man? Over the last few weeks, something has changed. Although he's been a legal adult for almost a year his usual wardrobe of cargo shorts and baseball caps had me believing that he was still my little boy. Yes, there have been times when he almost crushed me as he moved in for a hug but then I'd remember that he was always strong for his age. Yes, his feet have been dangling off the edge of the couch for some time but I'm shrinking so everyone is taller than I am. Despite the changes in his body, the rest of him still seemed so young, it was easy to be fooled into thinking that he would never grow up. And then it happened. He started remembering to mow the lawn. He would call and ask if I needed anything from the store. He started saving money. He enrolled in school and actually went to classes. Scary stuff.

Tonight, his dad and I got to spend some time with him. Not only did he not object to going out to eat with us, he picked up the tab! After that, he and his father took off without me to look for a suit. By the time I caught up with them, Josh was heading into the dressing room. Seeing him enter in a t-shirt and jeans and come out in full business gear almost made me cry. He looked ready to conquer the world. And for the first time in a long time, I think he just might.

1 comment: