Sunday, September 26, 2010

Not So Fast

Okay, maybe I'm not as ready to shut myself off from the rest of humanity as I thought I was. As I mentioned in my last posting, like it or not I was heading off to a black tie gala celebrating the end of the annual film festival co-founded by my husband. Forced to put my my trip to Walden Pond on hold, I struggled to strap myself into the only pair of high heels that my aching feet could tolerate and headed off to face the enemy.

It took awhile for me to get into the swing of things. I was definitely out of practice. As I stood in the lobby waiting for the event to get started, all I could think about was how much I wanted to take off my shoes. It's funny how little you can enjoy in life when your feet hurt. Once we sat down, I started to appreciate the proceedings. I got to see hard-working artists receive awards, I got reacquainted with volunteers I'd met in previous years and I enjoyed a meal I didn't have to cook or clean up. I was even treated to a rousing rendition of "Eye of the Tiger" by longtime rocker Jim Peterik. When the ceremony was over around ten, I had every intention of heading home but to my surprise I ended up attending the after party at a local hotel. Never sitting (and finally barefoot) I engaged in spirited conversations about politics, travel, the arts and the state of the world. And you know what? I had a good time. What I feared would be a superficial evening of meaningless small talk with people I didn't really want to spend time with turned into an entertaining night sharing ideas with people I'd like to get to know better. Maybe my address book (or should I now say Facebook page) could stand to add a few new names. And maybe I need to be reminded every now and then, that there is an intelligent, interesting person hiding inside that bathrobe. And she's definitely looking for a comfortable pair of heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment