Monday, October 25, 2010

Leftovers

Outside of Thanksgiving, I've never been a huge fan of leftovers. I guess I'm easily bored. I don't want to have the same meal two days in a row. But since my part-time job has taken over my life, I've discovered the beauty of coming home to a meal that I can reheat.

I used to love to cook. I watched Julia Child before she was cool and wasn't a bit intimidated by the complicated recipes. In fact, I enjoyed the challenge of recreating her dishes and the accolades I got for doing so. Once we had kids, those days were over. Not only did they prefer chicken fingers to coq-au-vin, I no longer had the time or the energy to cook anything that required more than fifteen minutes of my time.

Now that the kids are grown, my urge to flex my culinary muscles occasionally resurfaces. Just last week I whipped up a shrimp risotto that Julia would have been proud of. But yesterday, it was a simple roast beef dinner that reminded me of something my mom would have made. Tonight, it was roast beef dinner 2 and it went over pretty well. Amazingly, there's enough left for another meal. Do I dare?

No comments:

Post a Comment