Wednesday, October 27, 2010

SYTYCD

For the second time in a week, I left the comfort of my family room and ventured out on a workday. This time I braved fifty mile per hour winds to hang out with the exceptionally devoted fans of the American Idol-like dance competition, "So You Think You Can Dance". It's been a long time since I've been to a rock concert but that's what it felt like last night. I doubt if Elvis in his prime had as many screaming fans.

The show, a recreation of many of the dances seen last season on TV, featured an exuberant cast of young dancers doing impossible things with their bodies. I sat there watching their agility, flexibility and energy with envy. I never moved like that. Never.

When the show was over, the true fanatics (my sister included) headed for the stage door for autographs and photos. After braving the cold for twenty minutes, I opted for the warmth of the car while my crazy sibling and her friend waited for their dancing heroes. Within an hour, they were rewarded for their devotion. The cast couldn't have been more accommodating as they worked their way through the crowd. Several added their signatures to my sister's T-shirt (which just happened to be on her body) and posed for windblown photos. My sis was in her element and her joy was contagious. I may have been tired. I may have been cold. But I'm glad I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment